Today's EcoFacts are very important.
Today we will be talking about why we must stop using single-use plastics.
- Single-use plastic, whether from lunch wrap or bags, takes anywhere from 20 to 1,000 years to break down.
- While some of these bags are recycled, more items end up being sent to landfill, with millions also ending up polluting the land and water.
- Plastic can also negatively impact our health – some of the compounds and chemicals found in plastic, such as BPA, have been found to alter hormones or have other potential human health effects.
- Plastic entanglement kills marine life
- More plastic than fish- by 2050 environmental scientists believe that (by weight) there will be more plastic than fish- when fish consume the plastic or micro-plastic or the chemicals from the plastic, we will eventually ingest it to, because humans consume fish, and lately there has been overconsumption, thus we are constantly filling ourselves with plastic as well.
So what can we do about this?
It just requires us to simply refuse single use plastics when offered. Next time, you can refuse to use plastic cutlery, take a plastic bags and refuse the use of plastic straws etc.
Together if we say no, we will not only be saving the home we live in, but our bodies and overall health as well.
It is time to unite together and make a change.
Let us say NO to single-use plastics, and reduce our overall consumption of plastics as well.
Team of Also Sophia